Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
my many faces
My name is Romeo Barnes. I'm an author and a BJJ black belt with cerebral palsy. This blog is about my life balancing existence in two worlds. My latest book, My World is now available Amazon.com. Glad you're here, enjoy the journey.

Something on my mind

I try very hard to keep politics off this blog as politics bore the fuck out of me and this IS NOT AND NEVER will be a political blog. However, this is issue I must speak on as it affects me directly. That issue is Gay Marriage(on a side note I hate the term Gay it's so negative, SGL fits me better and it is what I perfer, but for the sake of this post I'll use the term gay) . Why is it that I have to wait on stupid suits in Annapolis(State level) and on Capital Hill(Federal/National level) to "approve" of my love for my partner. That's essentially what this signing will be considering this is not a safety act. Marriage is a civil right awarded by the simple fact that we live in America. "All Men Are Created Equal" remember that it means we're all entitled to the same thing. It's a shame that as it stands now if my partner and I adopt children and something happens to one of us the kids get nothing and if my partner gets sick I can't be his bedside in the hospital. There are 1,000+ rights awarded to married couples that the law says I can't have(seriously, 1,000+ look it up) that's bullshit. The sole reason laws exist is the protection of the citizens not to deny them.

Here are some reasons they say gay people shouldn't get married:
1)Homosexuality isn't natural.
My friend please watch Animal Planet
2) The Bible doesn't approve
So everyone in America is Christian? Did freedom of religion get taken away?
3) Gay people will raise gay children
Check this out, both my parents are straight
4) A child needs the influence of both the male and female parent in the home.
So single parents all suck and shouldn't be allowed to marry/re-marry by those standards.
This is my personal favorite:
5) We must protect the sancitity of marriage.
The divorce is rate 50%, I'd say that means you guys are doing a pretty good job keeping it nice and Holy.

Oh let's not forget their favorite line:
It's o.k. to have those feelings, you just can't act on them.

So I can't fall in love and I should just live as a celibate recluse.
Sorry, folks that's not happening if for no other reason than I love BJJ too much being around people is kinda a prerequiste to BJJ and refuse to lie to myself and date girls I did that until I was 17, it didn't work too well as you can by the subject of this post.

Quite frankly, what we do in our bedrooms isn't your business, so why do you care so much?

All we want are rights we should already have as human beings. Parents how would feel if say, your son who happened to be gay was murdered beaten to death by some guys and you tried to get the hate crime charge the DA tells you no there's not enough evidence. The perps get off with 8-10 for manslaughter instead of LIFE for murder. That happens everyday because there are no laws protecting us. Marriage is the first step to total equality. People please open your minds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

top vs. bottom

This is post that has been in my head since Georgette blogged her time at the Pan back in April over at her blog georgette's world . I don't quite remember the name of the post(just search her April posts) but in it she stated that sweep+submissions is better than takedown+pass therefore she implied unintentionally or not that playing the bottom is better than playing the top. Her reasoning being there are more options on the bottom which is completely true but thats only because you can transition to a different guard should the one you're using currently not be working not because the top player doesn't have submissions. Therefore, I must disagree with her statement. Firstly, if you pull guard and I knee-cut/step over into your half and flatten I get an advantage meaning all I have to do is stay there until time is up and I win. All leglocks can come from the top and in fact do especially the ankle lock. The toe hold and Heel Hook are the most common leg attacks from

Why Physical Therapy sucks

Years ago, maybe 2010 I don't actually remember, I posted a short post here called "Why." That post was about why I prefer to fight able-bodied opponents as opposed to fighting opponents with disabilities. To sum the post up, I do it to prove a point. In that post I mentioned that Physical Therapy(which will be referenced as PT for this post) sucks. This post will explain why. Let me preface by saying PT isn't bad and is in fact a necessary medical service as it's great for pre-surgery, post-surgery, and injury situations. That doesn't change the fact that PT is grossly misused. That's because PTs attempt to make your body work "normally"; what they should do is enhance the way your body already functions. Let's assume you're a cerebral palsy patient who has never walked on your own power and you use a wheelchair for mobility. Instead of putting you in a walker or on crutches and "going walking" around the room. They should p

Goals and Fights

Well one goal for 2010 has been accomplished, that's making purple belt. I got promoted Monday night. All that's left is publish Emotions Volume 2: Better Days, which is another blog post all it's own and win Mundials. Sadly, there's no way I can make the trip(medical bills+no sponsors=No Worlds). I'm having surgery soon(September) and I want to compete before I go under the knife for what has be 1,000th time. So I signed up for the GrapplersQuest US Nationals. I placed last year at this event taking 3rd place, having said that, last year was blue belt level, and purple is considered the lowest rank of the upper-class. A bishop with a black belt being king(for my chess players). What that means is this will be a whole different beast. I really wish I could compete on the IBJJF stage especially since I'm trying make a run for ADCC and ADCC Pro in 2011.(Someday I will) However, due to circumstances beyond my control GQ will have to be my IBJJF Worlds. I may do IBJ