Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
my many faces
My name is Romeo Barnes. I'm an author and a BJJ black belt with cerebral palsy. This blog is about my life balancing existence in two worlds. My latest book, My World is now available Amazon.com. Glad you're here, enjoy the journey.

update

ok i've been away for a while I know. I've been working on my novel I should be able to release it within the next two to three years after the Emotions series is complete if all goes as planned. A lot has happened in the past two months the book sales are finally picking up and I'm working on a deal with a local store. I will let you all know when a deal is finalized please know the book will always be available on http://www.amazon.com/ and http://www.booksurge.com/. There is no exact date for the release of Emotions Vol. 2, I'm shooting for Spring 2010. I'm also saving up to start my own publishing company I'm aiming for my novel to be the company's first release we will also re-release the Emotions series.

In BJJ news as advertised I went to New Jersey June 27-28. I got there Saturday morning at around 8am we drove all night. Saturday I was not scheduled to compete so I stayed and watched the Pro submission fights even though I was going on literally no sleep I can honestly say that it was the most amazing thing I've EVER seen in my 22 years of life. Needless to say on Sunday it was my turn and I was pumped. A lack of refrees and divisions being run out of order made the day longer than it should've been. I was expecting to be there all day but I didnt fight until 3pm and had been there since 9am. Don't get me wrong GrapplersQuest is a great tournament especially for beginners and I'll compete again in Vegas. You just cannot pass up the rush that comes under the lights. I'm not complaining about GrapplersQuest I'm complaining about my lack of action. My advice register for as many division as you can. I took 3rd place in the blue bantamweight(139 and below) division and dropped out of open weight cuz i was sleepy I had been up since 4am.

I was the only member of my team Maguilla BJJ (http://www.bjjonline.com/) at the tournament so that sucked. Every team in the country was there, I'm talking all the best: Renzo Gracie, Royce Gracie, Balance, Pedro Sauer, Jungle Gym, Lloyd Irvin, Fifty/50 and many many more.
I saw my old instructor Lloyd Irvin thank God there was no akwardness. I just want let it be known I love Lloyd Irvin to death. I can't thank him enough for everything. He got me started and taught about having a gameplan so much more that goes beyond BJJ. He made me a better person. Thank you, Master Lloyd Irvin.

Pros of weekend:
-Watching the Pro Fights
-Seeing Lloyd Irvin w/ no akwardness
-The Rush
-Taking 3rd place
-Seeing Ryan Hall again(we both trained at Lloyd Irvin when we were starting out)

Cons of the weekend:
-Going alone
-Driving all night
-Being cold(the event was in a hockey arena)
-My lack of action

Make sure you guys check out Youtube some of the Pro fights are posted there just search GrapplersQuest All-Star Pro Challege 2009. Photos of the event should be up on http://www.grapplers.com/ by next week if they aren't up already.





I'm so glad to be back in the competitive world. This what I live for nothing can stop me now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

top vs. bottom

This is post that has been in my head since Georgette blogged her time at the Pan back in April over at her blog georgette's world . I don't quite remember the name of the post(just search her April posts) but in it she stated that sweep+submissions is better than takedown+pass therefore she implied unintentionally or not that playing the bottom is better than playing the top. Her reasoning being there are more options on the bottom which is completely true but thats only because you can transition to a different guard should the one you're using currently not be working not because the top player doesn't have submissions. Therefore, I must disagree with her statement. Firstly, if you pull guard and I knee-cut/step over into your half and flatten I get an advantage meaning all I have to do is stay there until time is up and I win. All leglocks can come from the top and in fact do especially the ankle lock. The toe hold and Heel Hook are the most common leg attacks from

Why Physical Therapy sucks

Years ago, maybe 2010 I don't actually remember, I posted a short post here called "Why." That post was about why I prefer to fight able-bodied opponents as opposed to fighting opponents with disabilities. To sum the post up, I do it to prove a point. In that post I mentioned that Physical Therapy(which will be referenced as PT for this post) sucks. This post will explain why. Let me preface by saying PT isn't bad and is in fact a necessary medical service as it's great for pre-surgery, post-surgery, and injury situations. That doesn't change the fact that PT is grossly misused. That's because PTs attempt to make your body work "normally"; what they should do is enhance the way your body already functions. Let's assume you're a cerebral palsy patient who has never walked on your own power and you use a wheelchair for mobility. Instead of putting you in a walker or on crutches and "going walking" around the room. They should p

Goals and Fights

Well one goal for 2010 has been accomplished, that's making purple belt. I got promoted Monday night. All that's left is publish Emotions Volume 2: Better Days, which is another blog post all it's own and win Mundials. Sadly, there's no way I can make the trip(medical bills+no sponsors=No Worlds). I'm having surgery soon(September) and I want to compete before I go under the knife for what has be 1,000th time. So I signed up for the GrapplersQuest US Nationals. I placed last year at this event taking 3rd place, having said that, last year was blue belt level, and purple is considered the lowest rank of the upper-class. A bishop with a black belt being king(for my chess players). What that means is this will be a whole different beast. I really wish I could compete on the IBJJF stage especially since I'm trying make a run for ADCC and ADCC Pro in 2011.(Someday I will) However, due to circumstances beyond my control GQ will have to be my IBJJF Worlds. I may do IBJ